Posted on 2015-05-25 by Author admin
Facing problems with your garage door spring repair? Well it is something that everyone who has a garage door faces from time to time. Garage door springs wear and tear over time due to temperature changes or if the door adjustments were improper while installing the garage door. One thing is certain, when the spring breaks you will surely know because the door will stop moving. The next time you set down to repair the springs in a DIY manner keep the below professional tips handy for help.
1) Before you replace your springs with new ones make sure you have the dimensions of the springs required for your garage door. To find this out you will need the specifications of your garage door such as the force, turn radius, weight etc. Poor choice of replacement springs lead to the door flying open or crashing down with too much force
2) Garage door springs are really tricky because they are wound under tension. If not handled with care these could seriously damage the door and the person, hence safety first. Wear safety eye-wear and keep your head clear of the wound path of the spring to avoid getting hit while unwinding. Also many people tend to use C clamps to hold them down while replacement
3) Prep your work area so that you have all the tools required for your garage door spring repair. Make sure the door is closed and the automatic opener is detached from the source. This will prevent it from opening in the middle or jerking up while you are working at it, which is the case for most accidents
4) In most cases it is found that only one of the springs is damaged when dual springs are used. However you need to change both the springs so make sure you unwind the torsion from the springs using the shaft and clamps.
5) It is very important to mark the drum and the shaft (sometimes called as torsion bar). When you start working, make marks on either side of the circular bar. This will help you make the alignment easier after putting on the new set of springs
6) You will find that most of the DIY garage door spring repair kits have torsion springs and end drums marked with paint. This is to make the process simpler, so make you match the red colored bar with the red drum
7) Both torsion springs to need to be adjusted equally to balance the door. A rule of thumb is to use four quarter of a turn to complete a revolution and you need one revolution for each feet of your door height.
8) Now it is time to check the assembly. Remove your vice grips and motion the door halfway. Check whether it is too heavy or too light and does it stay in its pace when left without support. Once the door is balanced pull the cords in, and attach the opener back again. Oil the spring and they should be ready to use.
Click on the following link for more business info as well as you can also give your valuable feedback: