Posted on 2015-05-20 by Author admin
Many a times there are things in the house which we take for granted? One such thing is the garage door opener. Most people would not even think of it as an important part of the house but Garage Door Openers are a critical part of the garage door assembly without which garage doors would not really serve their purpose. It requires proper maintenance and hence garage door opener repair cannot be neglected. If you think that you door opener is safe and will continue to run as smoothly as ever you could be wrong. Here below are 5 things that will make you pay more attention to that garage door opener.
1) Broken or loose chain – Many a times due to change in temperature and continuous dust which settles in the nooks the small chain which guides the motor may become rusty and break. This is one of the most common reasons why garage door openers fail. In such case you may need to oil the chain and tighten it so that the garage door can function smoothly. If the chain is beyond repair then you need to have it replaced.
2) Power Source: One of the other common problems is a faulty power source. A faulty and unstable power source is the major reason for failure of electric garage door openers. Ensure that the power source is not near any circuit breakers or fuses. A faulty power source could lead to failure of the safety LED’s and the remote control switch box. It is also important to keep the electric board of the switch away from water and dry as it may cause a short circuit and damage the circuits and lenses.
3) The end sensor: This is the part of the door opener which senses any pressure when the garage door is obstructed and reverses the movement. This part is easily damaged and if it does not function properly it could be a problem if someone gets stuck in the door especially children. Monthly maintenance to check the normal working of the end sensor is a good tactic to keep it in optimal condition. Also direct sunlight could be a potential cause of faulty working of a sensor.
4) Out of Balance: If the balances and forces of the garage door opener are not set properly on installation it could lead to your door opener becoming toast from the inside. The most common symptom is a humming noise while operating the door. The main gear of the motor is more often than not a plastic gear which will wear off due to the unbalanced nature on installation making garage door opener repair necessary.
5) Overheating – Due to faulty adjustments of force and range the garage door opener motor may overheat damaging the internal mechanisms. The best thing to do in such cases is to first wait for the system unit to cool down. Then re adjust the calibration settings to get the motor back into its optimal mode of function when the garage door works smoothly without excessive heat generated in the motor unit. You can always refer to the manual for a detailed guide on calibration and adjustments.